Dr. Milne Post-Operative Instructions - ACL
- Make sure that someone is with you to drive home from the Surgery.
- You will be given a prescription for Vicodin/Hydrocodone is to be taken every 6 hours as needed for pain control.
- A soft bandage has been placed on your knee; this will absorb residual fluid that leaks from your knee. You may remove the bandages 48 hours after surgery. No further dressing is necessary, but you may cover the wounds with a gauze roll or ace wrap if this is more comfortable for you.
- You may shower 72 hours after surgery but do not soak the Remove the old dressings before showering and replace them with fresh dressings after showering.
- You should wear your HINGED KNEE BRACE and use crutches only when out of bed and/or walking. Be sure to keep the knee in full extension when weight-bearing. Make sure the degree of Angle is set at: *** and LOCKED OR UNLOCKED. The settings on the hinged knee brace should be set at: Extension *** and Flexion *** .
- A CPM machine will be ordered for you from Medical Express. Please expect a call from them to deliver the unit to you. This should be used approximately 6 hours daily for the first week following surgery. Initially, the settings are 0 and 40 degrees and should be advanced to 0-90 FLEXION as rapidly as tolerated. DO NOT PLACE PILLOWS BEHIND THE KNEE AT ANY TIME.
- Use the Iceman or ice pack as much as possible for 72 hours. After that time, use the iceman or ice pack for 15-20 minutes after each exercise session.
- Call your Pharmacy for refills, and the Pharmacy will contact our office to refill your prescription. Our office hours are Monday thru Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm.
- Please call the office and make an appointment to see Milne 5-7 days after surgery.
- While a low-grade temperature is common in the first 2 days after surgery, you should contact the office at 817-335-4316 if you experience any of the following: Temperature > 100 degrees
Redness or unrelieved pain at the surgical site
Wound drainage that is yellow or green or excessive in amounts.
These instructions will be reviewed with you and your caregiver on the day of the procedure and you will receive a hard copy for your records.
*** – to be completed day of surgery